120inna55 Forum Forum Index 120inna55 Forum
Welcome to 120inna55's Forum, a place for discussion about my blog or anything you choose. Enjoy your stay!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coyote Attack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Coyote Attack Reply with quote

A few days ago, my wife was walking through our woods and heard a ruckus followed by Pip and Mercy in hot pursuit of something. Then, out comes what my wife described as a very healthy coyote (in our parts, the word coyote is pronounced thusly: "kI-oat"). The reason "healthy" is an important qualifier here, is that coyotes in the wild, for the most part, don't particularly look healthy. They're generally quite slender and small with dull coats. This one apparently being without a pack, had apparently been eating well---no doubt feeding on the natives of the woods that are heavily populated with rabbits, squirrels, possums, coons (for your yankees, that's "opossums" and "racoons")...and, of course, small dogs. At this point we've pretty much resigned ourselves to the belief that this was the fate of Gus.

Yesterday, again, my wife was walking through the woods, and she suddenly heard Bonnie crying out. My wife called out and ran towards the sound to find Bonnie running scared. Miraculously, she'd escaped the jaws of the coyote, although not unscathed. She'd been bitten pretty badly for a dog her size. My wife took her to the veterinarian (E.T. Terry, DVM at Morton's Small Animal Clinic). After shaving and cleaning the wound, it was discovered that Bonnie had two canine punctures on the left side of her thorax and a bruise on the other side. By all signs, the coyote had her in its jaws in a very vulnerable position. Bonnie's quickness and my wife's loud yelling are probably what saved her.

Bonnie is doing fine now. We're giving her oral antibiotics and wound care. As a result of these events we obviously won't be letting her roam the woods alone. Until, of course the coyote is dead. Yep, you heard right. We're not exactly tree-huggers. Our initial inclination is to live in harmony with nature and to "live and let live". At this point, the coyote is not playing by the rules. The fact that he uncharacteristically brazenly hunts during the day and is apparently not a part of a pack is enough to justify his elimination. So he. must. die. Now, when we go into the woods, we're packing firearms.

pinkpjs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that poor puppy! I'm glad she's okay but she must have been terrified! And so sad about Gus too.
Scott Leonard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    120inna55 Forum Forum Index -> Chit Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: