120inna55 Forum Forum Index 120inna55 Forum
Welcome to 120inna55's Forum, a place for discussion about my blog or anything you choose. Enjoy your stay!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dark Knight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: The Dark Knight Reply with quote

My wife and I don't go to the theater often. The primary reason is that our home theater typically surpasses that of most movie-going experiences. At home, the screen image and sound are always perfect, and there are no nuisances such as cell phones or kids. Another reason is that the nearest good theater is over 40 miles away. We don't even try to go the local theater anymore. The last time I went to the Cinemark Cinema 4 in Athens, there was a huge snuff stain in the middle of the screen, and it was just over-run with disrespectful kids. So we have to drive to Tyler for a decent theater, the Carmike 14, which happens to be a very nice, clean facility with stadium seating and great digital sound.

I just couldn't resist the hype over the latest installment in the Batman franchise, The Dark Knight. I was particularly intrigued by a coworker's comment that Heath Ledger's portrayal of the sadistic and manic Joker was akin to something out of a Quentin Tarantino flick. Given that single description, I knew I couldn't wait six months for this film to become available on Blu-ray Disc. As a result, since my wife and I will be celebrating our thirteenth wedding anniversary next week, we decided to make a date of it.

The Dark Knight...I just can't find the words for it. I was absolutely blown away. This is one of the best written, best acted, and best directed films I've seen in a long time. It, without a doubt, lives up to---if not surpasses the hype. Heath Ledger's protrayal of the iconic Joker was breathtaking. A character that is so evil and sinister can easily become a one-dimentional caricature, but Mr. Ledger gave the Joker a depth he's never had before, all while making him more evil and psychotic but still barely human. A friend of mine said he'd rather not see another film with the Joker, because no one could compare to Ledger's performance. I share these sentiments wholeheartedly. That's not to say Ledger carried the film by himself. The performances of Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, and Maggie Gyllenhaal were among their best. Although their parts were relatively small, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman shined as anyone would expect given their well-established careers as accomplished top-rate actors. If there was a weak link in the film, it was, ironically enough, Christian Bale. While the Bruce Wayne/Batman character is obviously intended to be a brooding, yet stoic character, I couldn't help feeling like he was merely distant and detached. That said, of all the actors having portrayed Bruce Wayne/Batman on the silver screen (Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and George Clooney), Bale's performance is the best to date.

Christopher Nolan (co-writer/director) and Jonathan Nolan (co-writer) created a blazing fast-paced story that was reminicent of "The Departed". And Hans Zimmer's outstanding score is essentially an un-credited actor.

It's easy to walk out of a blockbuster movie, still on the high of an exciting or moving flick and rashly proclaim it as one of the best you've seen. But while leaving the theater, I had to seriously consider adding The Dark Knight to the list of my all-time favorite films. After much consideration, I conceded that The Dark Knight deserves a place in my top-twenty favorite films of all time.

So without further ado, here's my top-twenty list of all-time favorite films (in alphabetical order):
    Alien

The Breakfast Club

Clerks

The Dark Knight

The Departed

Dogma

Fargo

Fight Club

Full Metal Jacket

Ghostbusters

The Godfather

Kill Bill (Volumes I & II) aka "The Whole Bloody Affair"

Pulp Fiction

The Shining

The Silence of the Lambs

Snatch

Spaceballs

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Steel Magnolias

Terminator

pinkpjs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I never go to the theater. Too far to drive, too much trouble, too much money.

Maybe we can make a date of this when it comes out for Pizza and a movie at your house...*G*

As for the top 20 list. Wow. I didn't realize how hard this would be. So I'm going to give it a try. I may have to revise it later.

I'm assuming that your list is a list of your FAVORITE movies and not necessarily the best movies. Cause some of my favorites are so cheesy, they'd never win any awards. *G*

Fargo
The Breakfast Club
Interview With the Vampire
Elf
Desperado
Pulp Fiction
Primal Fear
Jaws
Speed
Planet Terror
The Wedding Singer
A Muppet Christmas Carol
Open Water
Saw
Army of Darkness
A League of Their Own
Rambo - First Blood II
Much Ado About Nothing
Pan's Labyrinth

Scott Leonard
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkpjs wrote:
...Maybe we can make a date of this when it comes out for Pizza and a movie at your house...
My thoughts exactly.

pinkpjs wrote:
...I'm assuming that your list is a list of your FAVORITE movies and not necessarily the best movies.
Yeah, this is purely subjective.
pinkpjs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically based my list on movies that I've watched over and over or would watch over and over.
Scott Leonard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    120inna55 Forum Forum Index -> Chit Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: