120inna55 Forum Forum Index 120inna55 Forum
Welcome to 120inna55's Forum, a place for discussion about my blog or anything you choose. Enjoy your stay!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gus' Neck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Gus' Neck Reply with quote

This morning, Gus (our red male dachshund) started exhibiting symptoms just like he did a little over a year ago which ultimately lead to his neck surgery. His neck was real stiff, and he was trembling---in obvious pain, but he wasn't wailing as he'd previously done. We quickly gave him a pain med and steroid which pretty much zonked him for about 30 minutes.

Last year, we only pursued the surgery because there was a reasonable expectation that he'd be able to return to his usual vigor. We consider the surgery a success as he's been pain-free for 13 months. We'd already decided that should his symptoms return, we wouldn't keep taking him back for more surgeries, but rather we'd have him euthanized because otherwise, at 10 years of age, he wouldn't be able to do what he lives to do, and that is to "go full throttle" blazing throughout the woods.

So this morning, after getting Gus doped-up, we called the vet's office and scheduled an appointment to bring him in to be euthanized today. What a heart-breaking decision. During the following 2 hours, I dug a grave, called my sister, and moped. Also during this time, Gus woke up and started firing around the house as usual---apparently pain-free. So, while we were getting ready to load up in the truck and take him to the vet's office, we began to re-evaluate. Do you realize how hard it is to take your dog in to be euthanized when he acts like nothing's wrong? There is such ambivalence. We don't want him to ever hurt, but it's impossible to make the decision when he's not exhibiting any signs of discomfort. So, at least for now, we've decided to give him a trial of steroid taper, pain meds, and rest. We'll keep you updated.

Last edited by 120inna55 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinkpjs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you didn't have to have him euthanized just yet. If this is something that can be managed with meds that will be great. Gus is such a cool dog.
Scott Leonard
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so far he seems fine.

I'm cautiously optimistic, though. Last year when he did this, it started as something sporadic---one minute he'd be wailing in pain, the next he acted as if nothing was wrong. Again, this morning he wasn't wailing in pain, he was just 'giving the sign' of what he'd previously done.

Right now, I know the pain med has to have worn off. He got the Tramadol 7 hours ago. (He can get it every 12 hours).

...as we speak, he got out of his bed after a nap, and 'helicoptered' without incident.

Helicoptered definition: violent head shake that all weiner dogs do after a nap. The sound made by the long ears slapping against the head and neck is similar to that of a helicopter's rotor.
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Gus is still doing fine. He's acting completely normal. We've been trying to keep him from being too active (the pain med helps! Wink ). He couldn't help playing with the new toys maw crocheted for him.
pinkpjs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know if God will help a teensy mouse, He'll help Gus, too. So glad he's hangin' in there.
Scott Leonard
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up. Gus is doing fine.

Everytime I look at him, I think about how close we were to having him put down...
pinkpjs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good Lord. I saw that you posted here and I was scared to death it was bad news. Yay for the Guster!
Scott Leonard
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus is no longer with us. Link to more details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    120inna55 Forum Forum Index -> Chit Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: