120inna55 Forum Forum Index 120inna55 Forum
Welcome to 120inna55's Forum, a place for discussion about my blog or anything you choose. Enjoy your stay!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Have A Reward Card?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120inna55
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Do You Have A Reward Card? Reply with quote

After Church today, I went to the local Office Depot to pick up some business envelopes for Church use. I was pleased to see that there was a sign in front of the envelopes stating, "Buy 2, get 1 free---Good through December 6". There wasn't just one sign, but rather there was a 3" x 5" card in front of every brand of envelopes. As I continued to browse, I noticed there was one of these cards in front of every single item on this aisle. You couldn't miss it. I inspected the card more closeley to discover that the "buy 2, get 1" deal applied to all shipping supplies. Hence the reason the shipping supplies aisle is littered with these cards.

This is not my first venture in the Office Depot. I know that if I'm purchasing supplies for the Church, that I need to first inform the clerk that the impending purchase is tax-exempt. Then, I know to hand the clerk the tax-exempt ID card so that it can be swiped, thus imparting all the vital information needed to ensure no tax is applied. So, in my usual fashion, as I approach the checkout counter, I hand the clerk the tax-exempt ID card and state, "This is tax-exempt." She takes the card, but hardly acknowledges it, mechanically asking, "Do you have an Office Depot Reward Card?" I stoically respond, "No." She then states, "You can receive $10 in the form of a gift card for all ink cartridge purchases. Would you like one?" Again, I said, "No, thank you." As I lay 3 boxes of envelopes on the counter, I tell her, "This is 'buy 2, get 1 free'". I was sure this was going to be yet another painful visit to the Office Depot when my statement is met only with a blank stare. I would've been happy with a perplexed look, but no, I get the blank stare. In an attempt to break her out of her catatonia, I repeat myself with qualifiers, "This is 'buy 2, get 1 free'. It applies to all shipping supplies. The aisle is practically littered with the signs." She then did the dreaded dead---using her discretely placed earpiece, she summons the store manager---no doubt a genius in his own right (or at least his own mind). Unfortunately he is apparently overwhelmed with his own responsibilities, which is presumably to walk the aisles affixing hundreds of "buy 2, get 1 free" cards to all the shipping supplies throughout the store. He can't answer her question which was remarkably, succinctly put, "I have a customer who says these envelopes are supposed to be 'buy 2, get 1 free', do you know anything about this?"

My wife offered her services and walked directly to the aisle and returned with one of those wiley, elusive cards, thus vindicating my statement. I was in hopes that this would finally end my penance in this chasm of customer anti-service. My hopes were dashed, yet again, by the blank stare. Somehow, uncannily, she overcame it and summoned the manager again. He was out of "buy 2, get 1" cards, so he was freed up to help her out. His help essentially mounted up to, "Yeah, these are 'buy 2, get 1 free'." At this point, I swear I hear angels singing. A few clicks on the keyboard followed by his ultra-secrect manager code, and we're in business again.

She rings it up, almost effortlessly this time. If was as if she'd done this before. Lucky me. I pay for the items. Then I ask for my card back. You guessed it--the blank stare is back. (Where are the angels?) Only this time, the stare comes with words, "What card?" I calmly state, "The tax-exempt ID card I gave you. It's right there underneath that 'buy 2, get 1' card." While scanning my receipt, I asked, "You didn't charge tax, did you?" (I didn't need to look at the receipt. I didn't need to ask the question.) You know the answer. She summons manager-boy again. As he arrives, he has a look of frustration that is only slightly more convincing than hers, but no where near that of the visages of the line of 12 customers behind me in line. He says, "What now?" Now there's a diffusing tone. She grumbled, "He had a tax-exempt card." The fact that she said this as if I'd only given her the card after she'd finalized the transaction was not lost on me. Feeling pity---and I have no idea from whence that came---I waited for her manager to leave before I defended myself stating, "That's why I gave you the card first." She slipped into teenage girl babble-mode, the jist of which was, "I know, but I have to enter the tax-exempt stuff last...and with the having to cancel the items, then adding them back with the buy 2, get 1, I forgot all about the tax...sorry." Sorry. Yep, that about sums it up.

So, Office Depot, "Do I have a Rewards Card?" No, but tell me this---can I get a card that extends me the privilege of having the clerk shut-up and listen to me? Where can I sign up for that card?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    120inna55 Forum Forum Index -> Chit Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: